The Independent lunch service is now available on Fridays. The Indo’s new offerings highlight the best local tastes from land, sea and the garden and can be enjoyed inside at the bar and restaurant or outdoors on the patio overlooking Somerville’s Union Square. Consulting Chef Patrick Gilmartin (River Bar) has created a variety of new “Light Bites” with highlights including:
- Roasted Beets (local chevre, fresh & candied orange peel – $10)
- Asparagus & Grits (cheddar cheese – $10)
- Burrata (roasted tomatoes, radishes, bread – $12)
- Fried Cotija Cheese (roasted garlic, guacamole – $10)
- Fried Calamari (cherry peppers, marinara – $12)
- Grilled Chicken Salad (local lettuce, sliced radish, snap peas, soy sesame dressing – $13)
- Lobster Roll (Bibb lettuce, Iggy’s Brioche, house-fried potato chips – $18)
- Croque Monsieur (ham, Gruyère, béchamel, Iggy’s Brioche, mesclun greens – $12; add $1 for a “Madame”)
- L.T. (Iggy’s Brioche, aioli, house-cut fries – $10)
- Grilled Cheese (Gruyère, cheddar, Iggy’s Brioche, house-cut fries – $9)
- Fried Chicken Sandwich (smoked cheddar, chipotle mayo, lettuce, tomato, fries – $12)
- Grassfed Cheeseburger (River Rock Farm Brimfield, MA – $14)
- Veggie Cheeseburger ($10)
- Mac & Cheese (smoked cheddar, boursin, chorizo – $12)
- Fish & Chips (wild pollock, spicy tartar – $15)
- Hot Fried Chicken (pickled jalapeño, coleslaw, bacon corn bread – $19)
The Independent is debuting new classic cocktails with seasonal flavors including coconut, pineapple, grapefruit and lime. Under the direction of Bar Manager Pat Foley, these unique options are crafted with fresh juices, syrups, infusions, shrubs and bitters and are certain to satisfy cocktail aficionados and novices alike.
- Sparkling Bottled Cocktail, a low-ABV, refreshing mix that is carbonated and bottled individually in-house ($10).
- Rosé Spritz (Cocchi Americano, Rosé Lambrusco, grapefruit – $10)
- Grapefruit Gimlet (vodka, citrus, St. Germain – $10)
- Kilauea’s Wrath (aged rum, allspice dram, crème de coconut, pineapple, lime, Angostura – $12)
- Kentucky Buck (bourbon, lemon, ginger beer, Angostura – $10)
- Perfect Pal (rye, Aperol, sweet & dry vermouth – $10)
The Independent is open Monday through Thursday from 3pm to 1am, Friday from 11am to 2am, and Saturday and Sunday from 11am to 1am (weekend brunch is available from 11am to 4pm. The Independent is located at 75 Union Square in Somerville.
ABOUT THE INDEPENDENT:
The Independent, known to regulars as “The Indo,” is a comfortable neighborhood restaurant and pub located in the heart of Union Square, Somerville. Restaurateur Ken Kelly opened The Indo in 2001 and it has become a beloved neighborhood mainstay. Diners come for gastropub-style food that is prepared daily from scratch, using fresh ingredients and the highest level of care. The bars are filled nightly with an eclectic mix of longtime Somerville residents and neighborhood newcomers. Guests enjoy a rotating selection of first-rate craft beer and a seasonally-influenced cocktail menu that features both standards and new trends. The Independent is located at 75 Union Square in Somerville. For more information, please call (617) 440-6022 or visit www.theindo.com. Follow The Independent on Facebook and Twitter at @TheIndo.